I ordered lechon and everyone at the table ordered ropa vieja. I questioned my choice, maybe I made the wrong decision. We were all in Miami for a conference and to celebrate my first time in South Beach, I wanted to eat at a Cuban restaurant. I just had to cross another thing off my life list. When our plates arrived, my bff Ruby insisted I try some of her ropa vieja. It was delicious but I couldn’t just take over her food. I happily shoved my face but kept thinking about their ropa vieja.
The conversation turned into recipes and I was obsessed with trying my hand at it when I got home. I wasn’t even home for a week when I made it myself. My husband Chris fell in love with it and I made it the week after too. That time I changed up the recipe and took out the cilantro, added more beef broth and no tomato paste – it was good but it wasn’t the same. The next time I craved spicy ropa vieja in tortillas. Sometimes you just need that Habanero flavor kick!
S P I C Y ROPA VIEJA
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1-2 pounds beef flank steak
1 cup beef broth
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon El Yucateco Black Label Reserve (exclusively available at Walmart)
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the flank steak on each side, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer beef to a slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, pour in the beef broth and tomato sauce, then add bell pepper, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, cilantro, olive oil, vinegar and El Yucateco.
- Stir until well blended.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 4 hours, or on Low for up to 10 hours.
- At about 3 hours, shread meat with tongs.
- When ready to serve, serve with tortillas or rice.
Join us at the bilingual #SauceOn Twitter Party on 9/14 1pm EST for inspiration and ideas on how to bring more excitement to your everyday meals by using El Yucateco. We’ll be sharing delicious and exciting recipes using El Yucateco and there will be $550 in Walmart gift cards! RSVP here. #CollectiveBias