You know you had an epic summer vacation when you are barely recovering in January. We usually do one big family trip out of state every year. Orlando, FL in 2013. Austin and San Antonio, TX in 2014. 2015 was going to be mellow. I was actually happy that our families were going to come to us. On the trip radar: Palm Springs for my epic birthday (more on that soon) and a Las Vegas primer for the kids. I did Life is Beautiful Festival solo in 2014 and had to take the familia. Art, music, learning and food – I was into it and knew they would be too. On this year’s lineup, our favorites Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels and Ghostface Killah with BADBADNOTGOOD.
The wanderlust was strong, I even curated a story about what we’d do in Vegas with the kids.
Gracias to DriveShop for setting us up with this 2016 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition. We’ve been working together since 2013 and they know our needs! Safety, tech and style all the way.
I love Vegas, my husband Chris not so much. He had only been there once, when I was pregnant with Duke, our now 10 year old. He wasn’t convinced he’d like the city this time around but the drive was so smooth. We left early on a Saturday morning and made it there in 3 1/2 hours. It was smooth. We got there on a half tank of gas! It was about $35 for a full tank. We are ready to trade in our truck!
The kids slept most of the way but I took in the desert views.
The plan was to lay low when we arrived so we could save energy for the festival on Sunday but we got some lunch at Tacos El Gordo, checked in to our hotel in Downtown Las Vegas and decided to check out Fremont Street Experience. That was an experience.
Sunday was epic. No other way I could describe it. We saw the Banksy truck in the NY documentary, we watched our favorites rock the stage, we enjoyed the company of our kids and got to meet one of our favorites from the Wu-Tang Clan, the one and only Ghostface Killah.
And as soon as we were getting used to all that Vegas love, it was time to go. The Hyundai Elantra Value Edition was absolutely perfect for our suitcases, a case of water and a backpack or two.
Places we ate:
- Tacos El Gordo – don’t let the lines scare you, yes they are crazy but it is worth it. Get the adobada tacos.
- The Buffet at Wynn – we almost didn’t eat here but so happy we did cause this is where my husband got to meet rapper Killer Mike!
- Pop Up Pizza at Plaza Hotel – Chris and the kids wanted pizza and this was within walking distance from our hotel
- Aloha Kitchen – one of the yummy vendors at Life is Beautiful, we got to sample the lumpia and ordered some. A fave for the kids!
- Truk-N-Yaki – one of the yummy vendors at Life is Beautiful, we were intrigued by Japanese burritos on the menu. A favorite for mom + dad!
We still have a huge Vegas to-do/see/eat list to tackle, we’ll definitely be back in 2016!